We value our client’s trust and believe in the principle of truth in advertising. While most firms do not post their tax
preparation prices online, we want our clients to understand the model behind our pricing and to have a clear method to
estimate the cost of their return preparation.
Our Pricing Model
We charge a flat fee for tax preparation as set forth in our standard fee schedule. You can review our current fee schedule here. Other firms charge by the hour for tax return preparation and will certainly bill you for the time they spend researching the tax law and figuring out how it applies to cryptocurrency. Not us. We already know the cryptocurrency tax laws inside and out, so we can offer you a more favorable flat fee arrangement for preparing your tax return.
Our flat fee for tax preparation does not include compiling trading data, computing capital gains, or other accounting services. Because every client’s needs are unique, we can’t include these services in the flat fee. They are instead billed separately at the rate of $250.00 per hour. Some clients don’t need this additional service, but many have complex transaction histories and need significant help compiling their trades and calculating their capital gains. As one of the most experienced Standard individual income tax return with Schedule D / Form 8949 where the client tax practices in the country, we have considerable experience with this kind of work and can perform these services quickly and efficiently.
Our total tax preparation fees will depend on the complexity of your tax return and how much help you need with compiling your transactions and calculating capital gains. With that said, most clients seem to fall within the following price ranges:
- Standard individual income tax return with Schedule D / Form 8949 where the client has reconciled all cryptotrades and calculated capital gains with software such as Bitcoin.tax or Cointracking.info is usually in the range of $750 – $1,200.
- Standard individual income tax return with Schedule D / Form 8949 where the client needs us to reconcile the cryptotrades and calculate capital gains is usually in the range of $1,500 to $ 2,200. The additional cost is due to the time we spend compiling and reconciling the client’s cryptotrades, which is billed at $250/hr.
- Business entity tax returns for day-traders and miners are usually in the range of $1,000 to $1,500.
Some factors that will increase the cost of tax preparation fees include:
- High trading volume (>5,000 trades per year)
- Trading on multiple exchanges
- Margin trading & short sales
- Like-kind exchanges
- Complicated non-crypto items, such as rental properties, self-employed businesses, K-1s, and multiple state tax returns.
We do not like surprising clients with extra fees. If your tax return might end up being outside of the cost guidlines provided above, we will communicate that fact with you and stay in close contact all along the way to prevent unexpected costs.
Ready to Get Started?
If you’re ready to hire us for your tax return preparation, please go here to request the Client Intake Form.